Every pet owner knows the joy and pain that comes with raising a pet. Our lovely companions can accidentally leave behind embarrassing stains and undesirable odors. Instead of leaving stains and odors to become a part of your decor, let’s discuss a few ways you can thoroughly remove any pet stain from your carpets.
- Clean the mess as soon as possible.
This isn’t always possible, of course, but the best thing to do is clean up messes straight away. The sooner you get to it, the less likely there is to be a stain or lingering odor.
- After you’ve picked up any solid mess that’s on the carpet, it’s time to inspect the damage. If there is any liquid remaining, soak up as much liquid as you possibly can with towels or paper towels. Soak up liquid by applying pressure to the stain. Make sure to avoid rubbing the spot so that you don’t spread it around the carpet more.
- Next, apply a cleaning solution that is safe for carpets, people, and pets. Spraying a small amount of vinegar works best. The scent is strong, but stay tuned, we’ll come back to that. Applying vinegar also removes enzymes that cause animals to return to the same place to… ‘have accidents.’ Let the vinegar soak in for a few minutes. Then soak as much of it up as you can with a towel.
- Next, sprinkle baking soda over the spot. This works to pull out any remaining dampness and odors— from the mess and from the vinegar. Let the baking soda sit for several minutes while it soaks up any remaining liquid.
- Thoroughly vacuum the baking soda, and you’re all done!
If your carpets are stained from your pets, trying these steps will help return your carpets to their fresh, clean state. If you have old or stubborn stains, give Best Qualified Cleaning a call. We use a safe, non-toxic cleaning solution to get to the root of the stain and finally remove it for good.